Friday, November 30, 2007

You can run, but you can't hide!


I'm addressing the person who invented this ad; run, run as fast and as far as you possibly can but I'm still going to find you and when I do I'm going to crack open you cranium with a length of lead pipe.

For those of you fortunate enough not to have come across this ad, here's a little snippit that explains it perfectly. It's just a flash ad, with pictures of innane smily faces with obnoxious, chipmunk voices, reminiscent of South Park, that, every so often, screams, "OH MY GAAAWWWD!!!!" at maximum volume.

If you have these ads on your site, remove them. Seriously, I know you probably want to make money from your website but there are other ways, trust me. Sure, some people will click on the ad, invariably the sort of idiots who think "ring-ring-ring-ring-ring-ring-ring-banana phone!" will never get tired or stale, but the rest of us, by now, have already been caught out by the ad, and, click back or close the page the second we see it.

I've already come across dozens of people complaining about this particular ad on various blogs and forums. I'm only adding mine to the pile today because I just got ambushed by another gang of them just a few moments ago, shattering the silence of my workaday world and breaking my concentration to such a degree that I just had to drop whatever I was doing and write this in a fit of rage.

Seriously though, if I stood on the street and screamed at people at the top of my voice, odds are they wouldn't stop to see what I'm selling, they'd run away - quick, and maybe call the police. Yet on the internet this seems to be a standard selling practice. I'm sure the guys who made the ad make a lot of money off it, of that I'm certain. I'm also sure a lot of people also install the smilies and who knows what else with it. And as long as this continues these guys aren't going to stop. That's why it's up to individual webmasters to boycott these types of adverts, which, in my opinion, are infinitely more annoying than popups, because not only do they make the internet a more vexing place for all of us, but they also hurt the credibility of webmasters and the traffic their sites receive.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button


Share |
Digg this

0 comments: